Friday, May 16, 2008

Take only what you need from it

Anyone who knows me knows music is a HUGE part of my life. So I've decided to chime in with various music reviews and such on my blog. So here we go:

           •Kids MGMT•
The other day I met this girl who was a music reviewer. She had some great advice on reviewing/judging music, "Never judge an album until you have listened through it completely three times." Sage advice I thought, and perfectly applicable to this first pick, seeing as I've been listening non-stop to the song since I first heard it about three days ago. I remember it was in the office, and my boss played it for me. A simple beat at first, but soon head after head popped up from their desks like gophers on a mesa flat, "Who's playing that song?" "I've been obsessed with that song." I didn't quite get the excitement at first, but then I switched from laptop speakers to car with open window speakers... and I was hooked. 

The track starts with sounds of kids playing, transitioning to a beat of child-like simplicity you picture some small boy playing on his first synthesizer. Then the drums and dirty bass line kick in, instantly transforming the song into a carefree and driving, yet slightly dark and nostalgic track. The lyrics are simple, yet the chorus is catchy and you find no problems singing along. MGMT has the flowing lyrical sound of a high-speed Modest Mouse, the electronic-pop elements of a HelloGoodbye, and the playfulness of a Helsinki Architecture (if that all makes sense). I've only slightly listened to the rest of the album, but other tracks I really like upon my  initial listening are "Pieces of What,""Time to Pretend," and "Electric Feel." 

I highly recommend you checking out 'Kids' on iTunes, and at least giving a listen to the rest of the album a listen.

Kids
You were a child
Crawling on your knees toward it
Making momma so proud
But your voice is too loud
We like to watch you laughing
You pick the insects off of plants
No time to think of consequences

(Chorus)
Control yourself
Take only what you need from it
A family of trees wanted to be haunted
Control yourself
Take only what you need from it
A family of trees wanted to be haunted

The water is warm
But it's sending me shivers
A baby is born
Crying out for attention
Memories fade
Like looking through a fogged mirror
Decisions too
decisions are made and not bought
But I thought this wouldn't hurt a lot
I guess not

Chorus x6

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Take only what you need from IT. Not him. It. Just FYI

Blue Sky said...

Noted and changed. I had to listen to for that one. Shows not everything online is accurate I suppose. Including my blog...